Saturday, November 24, 2007

Abundant Blessings

If you have ever attended a traditional church or if you are in the least bit religious, then the words to the Doxology will probably be familiar. It starts out, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow." It is a song whose history I'm unfamiliar with and not real motivated to investigate, but one I've heard sung more times than I can count, especially growing up going to church. This year, though, as we geared up for winter by digging out the snow clothes, trying on snow pants, jackets, gloves and boots to see who needed what, that song was going through my head.

As a mother of many, managing clothes is a logistical nightmare, especially because my children not only grow quickly, but they are much larger than other children their ages. It is an on-going struggle to make sure everyone has pants or skirts that are long enough, shoes that fit, and a coat that doesn't leave some part of them exposed. More often than not, getting ready for church on Sunday mornings finds at least one person who has something that doesn't fit! Needless to say, trying to take advantage of off-season sales is a bit difficult, because I'm not really sure just what size a kid will be by the time the season for such clothes rolls around.

That is why I was so blessed and had the words of the Doxology running through my mind. Winter clothes I purchased last spring actually fit! Jackets I'd forgotten about fit kids that didn't have jackets. Boots fit kids that needed boots. Our son had already grown into his 3T snowsuit (but it does, by God's grace, have growing room) and one of my daughters is wearing a pair of snowboots I outgrew two years ago!

So, I do praise God, from whom all blessings flow! Not only for the snow clothes that keep my children warm as they play in our white (or almost white) winter wonderland, but all His abundant blessings. At the time of this writing, we've been given two different turkeys (one of which we ate for Thanksgiving), nine grocery bags full of food, including basic staples and supplies for making goodies! It is amazing and I'm in humble awe of God. From Him blessings do flow, and from Him comes all I need for health and godliness.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above ye heavenly host,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen!

1 comment:

Marigold said...

I loved reading about your abundant blessings.....The Doxology has always been one of my favorite gratitude songs....Love reading your musings......