Thursday, February 22, 2007

Diapering Disaster

Last night, through the night, I got wet. My infant son was sleeping beside me so that I could more easily attend his needs; like Dr. Bill Sears, we have a "family" bed. It usually saves me trouble and allows me to get back to sleep quickly after 4 am feedings. Usually. Last night, I got wet. This morning, I had to change my pajamas, my pillowcases, and my sheets, because the reason I got wet was a leaky diaper.

I'm a mom. I've been changing diapers for 12 years, and with six kids, that's a lot of diapers. My oldest daughter, who has been around for most of those diaper changes, is a huge help at home. She can fix a simple meal if I need her to. She can run to the corner grocery or pick up mail. She can even watch her siblings for short periods, freeing me up to work on things she can't do. My oldest daughter has even changed her fair share of diapers over the years.

Last night, though, my oldest daughter was no diapering expert. She put the diaper on wrong! Somehow, she didn't get the diaper on straight or something, because the diaper stayed dry and everything around it got wet! You may be wondering why I didn't realize earlier in the night that I had a problem. Actually, I wonder that myself! When I finally discovered that the diaper was leaking, it was an "ah ha" moment. Unfortunately, that moment didn't come until my brain actually had the capacity to have such a realization and by then, the night was over and it was too late.

It could be worse; much worse. I could live some place without disposable diapers. I could lives somewhere without diapers. I could live some where without washing machines. So, in the grand scheme of things, if my oldest daughter isn't a diaper genie, I can live with it. What I can't live with is a world without children, even if it means my son soaks me instead of his diaper. There are much worse disasters.


2 comments:

eeMOMS.com blapher said...

I love this posting and have so much respect for the fact that you and your husband are raising six children. You come across as a mom who doesn't get upset over the little things in life....and you enjoy the big things. Continue being a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Great posting! You may not know me Marchuana, but you know my morther and father-in-law, Dave and Laurie Shrope. That was how I came across your blogspot! I've truly enjoyed reading your posts as my husband, Brian, and I are first time parents! We have a 5 1/2 month old daughter, Elaina, and are learning SO many things through her! Its great having a webpage that I can relate to now! God bless you guys!

In Christ,
Brandi Shrope